Semester 2 Chapter 5-6
1) List the correct sequenc of the Cisco router system startup routine.
POST (Power on self test)
Load config, or if no config enter setup
2) What is an importnat function of POST?
Post checks the hardware
3) What is the correct order in which a router boots and looks for files?
Load bootstrap from ROM
Load IOS from flash
Load IOS from ROM (or TFTP if ROM is not availabble)
Load IOS from TFTP (or ROM if TFTP is not available)
Load start up config from NVRAM
Load Start up config from TFTP (if NVRAM not available
If no startup config, enter setup
3) Where is the next place a router looks for an IOS image file if it cannot find it in FLASH?
4) What are the results of the config file loading onto a router?
The routing process is started, if applicable the DNS is started, IP addresses are assigned to interfaces.
5) What impact does the command erase startup-config have on the router?
Erases backup file on NVRAM
6) What does the reload command do?
7) What is the first global configuration paremeter set when using setup mode?
Set router name (hostname)
8) Where is the config file saved when the setup process is complete?
In the NVRAM
9) What command is used to save the running config file to NVRAM?
copy run start
10) What command allows you to create messges to display when someone logs on?
11) What command is used to backup the active config file stored in NVRAM?
copy start TFTP
12) What does the router prompt look like when you are in the interface mode?
13) Setting passwords for vty 0 4, is setting password for what?
Incoming Telnet Sessions
14) Which passwords are encrypted in the configuration file default?
enable secret passwod
15) List the logical steps to use then confuguring a router.
Enter config statements
Examine the changes you have made
If necessary modify or remove configuration statements
Save the changes to a backup in NVRAM that the router will use when it starts up
Know what POST does
What order a Router looks for files
IOS flash, ROM, TFTP
Config NVRAM, TFTP
What is an important result of a configuration file loading onto a router
starts routing, can be set up as a DNS
What does reload do
Where does a config file save when you complete the config process
How do you get out
copy run start
Save active config to startup in NVRAM
What are the modes?
What do they look like?
How do you know what default is
Global config parameters